Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Batman Begins

When I'm just starting to get to know a person, one of the questions I ask them is "What super power would you choose if you had a choice?"  Not the best ice breaker and the response is usually initially a blank stare.  But really, who hasn't ever wanted to be a superhero of some sort?  Or have some super power?

Unfortunately, the chance that the yellow sun of the Earth will one day provide any of us with unimaginable power is rather small.  And even if someone could attain some type of super power, it would most likely not be all that it's cracked up to be (based on that pesky thing called science).  So, then what?

Enter the Batman.
"Let me just adjust my utility belt."
Unlike other superheroes without any explicit super power bestowed upon them, Batman is unique in that he spent a lifetime of hard work becoming a hero, earning his place among the greatest.  Tony Starks/Ironman achieved his “powers” through unattainable technology (I know, Batman himself has some wonderful toys).  Captain America was injected with what were basically anabolic steroids (his true super power is his unmatched sense of patriotism, God bless him).  Batman, on the other hand, continuously trains his body and mind to handle most of the shenanigans that Gotham’s worst come up with.  He exercises, eats right, trains in martial arts, sharpens his mind, etc., all with resources that are mostly available to any one of us.  Of course, I know billionaire Bruce Wayne has nearly unlimited resources with which to help his training, but for the most part, one can work on fitness, fighting, and increasing mental capabilities without having a trust fund.


I’m an average guy. I never considered myself athletic. Growing up, I was never ever in the top tier of athletes in any of the sports I played recreationally. But I’m definitely more fit now than I was when I was a kid.  Within the past couple years, I started training in Muay Thai (Thai boxing), and I enjoy doing crossfit a few times a week.  And it’s actually because of these extracurricular pursuits that I wondered how close I could come to being like Batman.  But I don’t fight crime regularly.  I don’t have time to even train as much as I’d like.  I have a desk job, 9-5.  Plus I’m 30. As in years-old (old).  But, like I said, I’m fitter now than I have been in a while.

Seeing what it takes to become Batman is by no means an original idea.  In fact, there’s a book titled Becoming Batman (by E. Paul Zehr) that gave me the idea of keeping this blog.  Dr. Zehr breaks down most of the physical and mental aspects Bruce Wayne would actually go through on his journey to Batmanhood.

Do I have what it takes?  No.  I seriously don't. Seriously.

But let's see how close I get!

No comments:

Post a Comment