Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Broken Bones

So I broke my nose.  It was during a Muay Thai tournament.  My openent connected a powerful cross directly to the bridge of my nose and almost immediately blood began gushing.  Even though I was largely unfazed (don't get me wrong; I was definitely stunned for a seconds) and even doing well, the ref called the fight because I was just bleeding too much.  I was eliminated from the tournament in the first round.

I spent MONTHS training, eating right, cutting weight, etc., all for naught.  I was so busy training, I didn't even have time to update this blog, which was created for the sole purpose of keeping track of my training.  Now I'm injured and hungry for more. 

The Batman never smiles.

I lost a total of 25 pounds for the the tournament.  I weighed-in at 132, feather weight division.  I had to fast for 30 hours beforehand (only a couple sips of water), but I made weight.  The majority of my weight loss was due to two factors: lots of metabolic conditioning and a certain diet called the Paleo Diet.  I assume my training for a Muay Thai tournament is similar, even minimally, to Batman's daily training.  I worked out at most four times a day (including a metabolic condition workout, a long run, and at least an hour and a half of Muay Thai training: pad rounds, clinch work, technique, etc.).  No doubt Batman has had some exposure to Muay Thai.  The reason I chose to study it is because it's arguably one of the most efficient striking martial arts in existence.  The Science of Eight Limbs, it's called, due to the fact that you effectively learn to fight with your hands, legs, elbows, and knees.  In Amateur fights, however (at least in the U.S.), you're not allowed to use elbows or knees to the face.  Not to worry.  My opponent caught me with a good 'ol cross punch right to the schnoz.  And that's what took me out.

That was three days ago.  Since then, I haven't worked out and I've been eating crap.  It's easy to justify it to myself.  "I deserve it," I say.  But now I feel like crap.  And that's on top if my face being in pain.  So I'm back on the Batman bandwagon.  After this week, of course.  I still need to heal up (I have an appointment with an ENT physician this week, hopefully he/she can realign my face for me).  But like I said, I've never been hungrier to get back in to it.

Stay tuned for more frequent updates on my mission to become some semblance of Batman.

No comments:

Post a Comment