Monday, April 30, 2012

Bat-Caveman Diet

So, I've started to (again) adhere to something called the Paleo Diet (also known as the Stone Age Diet or the Caveman Diet).  The basic premise of this diet is that you're supposed to emulate what our paleolithic ancestors ate.  That is, no dairy, grains, refined sugars, or legumes.  Basically, I'm stuck eating just meats, fruits, and vegetables.  According to the philosophy of the diet, our bodies are not designed by nature to process certain foods readily available to us now.  Which begs the question, what would someone like Bruce Wayne eat?

I know right off the bat (zing!) that the Dark Knight does not indulge in any controlled substance in any form (illicit drugs, smoking, drinking, etc.). 

Seriously guys, it's iced tea.
But what is Bruce Wayne's everyday diet like?  I'm assuming it's low in fat.  But does he cut out carbs?  Someone active like Batman needs more than your average 2,000 daily calories.  I remember back during the 2008 Olympics, it was a big deal for everyone to find out that U.S. swimmer Michael Phelps consumed around 12,000 daily calories while he was in training!  I'm assuming Batman's caloric demand is similar, with a healthy ratio of carbs to protein (4:1, although I would think Batman needs more protein).

That's for Batman in his full form.  What about for someone like me who's no where near Batman's or Michael Phelps' level?  That's where the Paleo Diet comes in.  I'm basically limiting my sugars (complex carbohydrates like grains).  The diet also calls for cutting out dairy, which is ok by me.  Although I do love cheese, I always feel a bit heavy and weighed-down after eating it.  I've resorted to drinking unsweetened almond milk (because our paleolithic ancestors loved their almond milk) to get my calcium.  I need my calcium if my nose is ever going to heal . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment