Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Starting with Kettlebells

I'm recovering from surgery.  Nothing super serious, I just had to have a quick operation to fix my broken, crooked nose.  Obviously my nose is still broken, but at least it's straight now.  It'll take at least 6-8 weeks for it to fully heal.  In the meantime, the doctor said I'm not allowed to do any contact sports (e.g. Muay Thai, BJJ).  He even said I can't do any hard exercise for at least two weeks following surgery.  And that's on top of resting for the initial two weeks following my injury (I didn't realize, but I had a concussion, as well).  You'd be surprised how quickly the body gets out of shape while you're "recovering."

This scenario reminds me of when Batman was critically injured during his fight with Bane in the Knightfall story arc.

Yes, this is exactly what my situation is like.

So, I'm going to start from scratch.

Even though the doctor said no exercise, I did a short kettlebell workout yesterday.  Quick kettlebell rant: Kettlebells are Russian and they're awesome.  Although I'm not completely certain Bruce Wayne trains with kettlebells, I'm sure he's aware of them, maybe even uses them.  If not, I'm sure he uses something similar like the japanese version, ishi sashi. The main advantage of kettlebells (and similar instruments) is that the weight is beyond the palm of the hand, contrary to typical dumbbells ubiquitously found in gyms here in the United States.  To quote Wikipedia (and come on, who doesn't quote Wikipedia), "by their nature, typical kettlebell exercises build strength and endurance, particularly in the lower back, legs, and shoulders, and increase grip strength."  I used a fairly lightweight kettlebell for my work out, a one pood kettlebell.  A pood is a Russian measurement the equivalent of which is around 16 kg.

Later this week I'll go for a medium distance, light run (maybe like 4-5 miles, and at a reasonable pace).

No comments:

Post a Comment